Gregg Patterson, President
Some managers stay at their club for a long, long time. They’ve “got loyalty.” And others don’t.
Some people join and remain members at a club for a long, long time. They’ve “got loyalty.” And others don’t.
Some people use the same toothpaste for years. They’ve got loyalty. And others don’t.
Some people seem to have “loyalty” in their genes. And others don’t.
Everyone in clubdom’s asking— “Why are some members and some staffers loyal—and others aren’t? What can I—as a professional club manager—do to make the “un-loyal” loyal?
People are hungry for loyalty. Needy. It’s in the genes.
People need relationships and community and want to be connected to people, institutions and “things” for a long, long time. Everyone’s got The Loyalty Gene. Everyone’s got “Loyalty Hunger.” Everyone wants to “get attached” and “stay attached.” The need exist—and loyalty’s given when “what’s needed” gets given.
And what’s needed is “right answers” to questions The Hungry are asking.
Ask the right questions, generate the right answers, deliver the right goods and loyalty will be given.
Answering The Questions
If you want loyalty from members and staff, you need The Right Answers to the questions Loyalty Seekers are asking. And here are the questions they’re asking, knowingly or not………….
- Do they really, really know ME??? Do you know The Loyalty Seeker as an individual and what THEY want from the Loyalty Experience—do you know Mary Joe’s name, that she’s a Sky Diver with seven kids and a hunger for Jack Daniels? Do you know The Loyalty Seeker as a market segment with wants, needs and expectations unique to that group—do you know what Joe Blow’s 65 year old, retired, non-golfer, bicycle riding, three sets of tennis and two rubbers of bridge market segment wants from The Club Experience? Loyalty Seekers will give you their loyalty if you know them both as an individual and as a market segment.
- Do they satisfy MY EXPECTATIONS??? Do you know what the Loyalty Seekers expect from the relationship, what they want you to deliver in exchange for their loyalty? Unchanging everything? Evolving everything? Lots of surprises? No surprises? Tough golf course? Easy golf course? Low dues and high debt? No debt and high dues? Lots of noise? Lots of silence? Loyalty Seekers will give you their loyalty if you satisfy their expectations.
- Do they make MY Life EASIER??? Do you make reserving a table, a tee time, a trainer, a golf lesson easier for the Loyalty Seeker? Do you take care of the kids, the husband, the grandparents when they want escape time? Do you make escaping or connecting or reflecting easier at your club than they can get it elsewhere? Loyalty Seekers will give you their loyalty if you make their life easier.
- Do they make MY Life BETTER??? Is the Loyalty Seeker’s life fuller because they have your clubhouse and your golf course to enjoy? Does playing golf on YOUR COURSE give them the buzz? Does talking to YOU or YOUR TEAM enlarge their life’s journey? Do they miss you when they don’t have you? Loyalty Seekers will give you their loyalty if you make their life better.
- Do they DO WHAT THEY DO DIFFERENTLY than I can get it elsewhere? Does the Loyalty Seeker see your club as “nice enough” but not memorably different? Is the starter nice enough but not memorably different? Is the clubhouse nice enough but not memorably different? Are the relationships you provide nice enough but not memorably different? Loyalty Seekers will give you their loyalty if you do it differently than the other guys who are competing with you to attract the Loyalty Seeker..
Got the questions? Got answers? Got the goods? Got loyalty???
The Market of ONE
Loyalty Seekers are asking The Five Big Questions about “the relationship” between you and them. Do you KNOW me? Do you equal my EXPECTATIONS? Do you make my life EASIER? Do you make my life BETTER? Do you do what you do DIFFERENTLY than I can get it elsewhere?
If you as a club, if you as a husband, if you as a seller of toothpaste want loyalty from your “target market”—member, wife, shopper—you’d best accept that your “target loyalist” is a Market of One, unique and needy, wanting customized answers to their personal Big Five.
They demand “the right answers” before offering you their loyalty.
Identify The Loyalty Seekers.
Ask The Questions.
Find The Answers.
Deliver The Goods.
And enjoy the journey……………